Single word yields best result

Football News: Review Of The Day 7th June 2019

Review Of The Day 7th June 2019
Image from: freelargeimages.com

Review of the Day

 


Contracts

Veteran Spanish centre-back Ivan Ramis has signed a new 1 year deal with SD Eibar.

Dundee full-back Cammy Kerr has agreed a 2 year deal.

Ross County forward Billy McKay has signed a 2 year deal.

Aaron Wildig has signed a 1 year contract with Morecambe.

Scottish striker Craig Moore has been given a 6 month deal by Ayr United.

 

Transfers

Full-back Enock Kwateng has made a free transfer move to Girondins Bordeaux from Nantes.

Borussia Moenchengladbach have released Josip Drmic.

Bologna have paid just under £7m to sign Roberto Soriano from Villareal.

Crystal Palace have released Bakary Sako.

FC Twente have signed free agent veteran Dutch right-back Paul Verhaegh.

Dundee have signed Declan McDaid on a free transfer from Ayr United.

Also in Scotland Blair Alston has joined Hamilton Academical following his release from fellow SPFL side St Johnstone.

 

Forestieri Charged With Racist Abuse

Sheffield Wednesday forward Fernando Forestieri was acquitted at Mansfield Magistrates Court of racially abusing Mansfield Town's Krystian Pearce in a pre-season friendly between the two sides. The racial abuse was said to have sparked off a mass brawl which took place just afterwards between the two sets of players. Now the 29 year old Italian will face FA charges for "allegedly using abusive and/or insulting words including reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race".

 

CAF President Held In France

Authorities in France have taken Confederation of African Football president Ahmad Ahmad in for questioning over corruption allegations. A FIFA statement read: "Fifa is unaware of the details surrounding this investigation and is therefore not in a position to make any comment on it specifically. Fifa is asking the French authorities for any information that might be relevant to investigations taking place within its Ethics Committee." They also confirmed that the allegations were "related to his mandate while President of Caf".

 

Neymar Ruled Out Of Copa America

Neymar Jr is to miss the 2019 Copa America being played in Brazil after suffering an ankle ligament rupture during a friendly win over Qatar. The PSG forward lasted just 17 minutes before being taken off due to the injury.

 

More Trouble For Neymar

A woman has appeared in a TV interview in Brazil to publicly accuse Neymar of rape. Najila Trindade filed rape charges against Neymar last week, to which he responded by posting up a series of Whatsapp messages between himself and Trindade, along with intimate pictures of her which he claimed proved his innocence. Trindade has admitted that she had initially intended to have sex with the footballer when she flew to Paris to meet him, but that Neymar had been "aggressive, totally different than the boy that I got to know through the messages". She also said that what happened between them was "an assault together with rape". A video has also emerged, claimed to be of the pair, which is said to be an altercation between them. Neymar's father has claimed that it was a set-up which proves his son is innocent and also claimed that Neymar Jr was the "victim of an attempted extortion". It has also been revealed that lawyers for Neymar and Trindade met to discuss a settlement, though both parties claim the other legal team initially asked for the meeting. Neymar is now being investigated over the images of her he published, to establish if he broke any privacy laws. Already Mastercard have suspended an advertising campaign which featured Neymar until the situation is "cleared up".

 

City Appeal Against UEFA Allegations

Manchester City are attempting to block UEFA from referring them to the Club Financial Control Body over allegations they breach Financial Fair Play regulations. A CAS statement explained: "The appeal is filed against decisions taken by the Investigatory Chamber of the Uefa Club Financial Control Body regarding [the club's] alleged non-compliance with Uefa's Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations. An arbitration procedure will now be initiated and will involve an exchange of written submissions between the parties while a panel of Cas arbitrators is convened to hear the appeal." City have previously been fined nearly £50m for a breach of FFP regulations and could face expulsion from the Champions League if found guilty this time.

 

FA Hit Out At England Troublemakers

England fans have once more let their country down and behaved like hooligans while in Portugal for the Nations League. There were clashes with riot police and bottles thrown at Portugese fans in a fans' zone as trouble flared two nights in row. Deputy Chief Constable Mark Roberts said: "We have an investigation team up and running in the UK gathering footage. We aim to get them to court, hopefully when they get back to the airport we will identify them as we want them banned. Unfortunately what we see here are people, some of whom have never been brought to the attention of the police and we don't know if they'll behave like drunk yobs until they've consumed too much alcohol. The behaviour of a small number of the England fans out here continues to tarnish the reputation of the genuine fans who are simply trying to enjoy the football. It is believed the fans had been throwing bottles at Portugal fans who were watching the match in the same area. This is the second evening in a row where disorder has occurred in Porto. Last night there were issues outside a bar, where bottles were thrown and minor damage was caused. The behaviour we are witnessing is incredibly disappointing and again I would point fans towards the recent video from the FA - 'Don't be that idiot'." Portugese police confirmed there were problems stating: "Two English fans were arrested in Porto due to aggressions to police officers and another was identified because of his behaviour. Two police officers were injured in the intervention." The FA, who had just released their 'Don't be that idiot' campaign a few days previously, said: "The FA strongly condemns the scenes witnessed in Porto overnight. Anyone responsible for these disturbances cannot be seen as true England supporters and are not welcome in football. They are an embarrassment to the team and the thousands of well-behaved fans who follow England in the right way."

Written by Tris Burke June 07 2019 06:04:03