Single word yields best result

Football News: Review Of The Day 3rd October 2019

Review Of The Day 3rd October 2019
Image from: freelargeimages.com

Review of the Day

 


Contracts

Villareal defender Pau Torres has signed a new 5 year deal.

Former Manchester City forward Felipe Caicedo has a 3 year contract with Lazio.

 


Transfers

Despite being sacked for stealing team-mate Kasper Dolberg's watch, Lamine Diaby-Fadiga did not have to wait long to find a new club and has already signed for Ligue 2 side Paris FC.

 


Injury Round-Up

Paul Pogba is ruled out of Manchester United's Europa League tie with AZ Alkmaar with a foot injury. A club statement read: "Following a specialist's opinion, Paul Pogba requires a period of further rest and conservative treatment for the foot injury he sustained during the game against Southampton in August. Updates will follow in due course."

Wolverhampton Wanderers will have to face Besiktas in the Europa League without Diogo Jota, who is still missing with a toe injury.

Barcelona's new 16 year old 'wunderkind' Ansu Fati missed the Champions League win over Inter Milan due to 'growing pains'.

 


Barry Takes Control Of U's

Paul Barry has taken full control of Cambridge United with the full recommendation of the club's board. Barry was the largest shareholder, and had been so since 2008, and has pledged to build a new stadium. Board chairman Chris Grady stated: "This is an important moment for Cambridge United and a positive step forward. It provides the club not only with financial security but also means ownership is in the hands of a lifelong fan. We are all very grateful to Paul for his support going back many years and his renewed commitment to the club for the future. We also recognise and appreciate the support for the proposal from right across the shareholder and fanbase. It means we can now all look forward as a club with financial security off the pitch and, coupled with [manager] Colin Calderwood agreeing to extend his contract, further stability and hopefully more success on the pitch."

 


Potters' Gamble Not Paying Off For Jones

Stoke City manager Nathan Jones has told BBC Radio 5 Live, in what sounds a lot like a resignation message, that his gamble in joining Stoke has not paid off for him. Jones quit then League One Luton Town in January to take up the reins at Championship side Stoke. Now, 10 months later, Luton are in the Championship and six places and 8 points above Stoke. Jones said: "I gambled everything and it hasn't paid off. I left a wonderful club, a wonderful group of people that were really on their way up. I gambled with other people's lives as well, my staff's lives, my wife's life. That is the thing for me that is really hurting because I worked so hard to get to a certain position and it just hasn't worked out. I came to a wonderful club with wonderful owners, and I can't thank them enough. The fans have given me patience but I haven't repaid them."

 


Bluebirds Sink Even Lower Than A Snake's Belly

Cardiff City have continued to defy common sense and decency by once more refusing to just pay the money owed to Nantes for Emiliano Sala. Having been ordered by FIFA to pay the first instalment, which is long since due, Cardiff have decided to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Hopefully CAS will do the right thing.

 


African Champions League Once More Descends Into Farce

After last year's final was a complete shambles over VAR, this year the Confederation of African Football were hoping for better from their African Champions League. Sadly it seems to be no better this season as the second leg of a last 32 tie between Zamalek of Egypt and Senegalese side Generation Foot failed to take place at the weekend. The game was scheduled for Saturday in Cairo, with the Senegalese holding a 2-1 advantage from the first leg. However Zamalek decided to move the match to Sunday in Alexandria and cited "security reasons". However Generation turned up on Saturday in Cairo at the originally scheduled venue, were not allowed to enter the stadium but then failed to turn up in Alexandria. Zamalek and the match officials waited until 15 minutes after the kick-off time before calling off the match. CAF have confirmed that they are looking into and that "updates will be issued in due time".

 


Imbula Cleared For Debut

Former Stoke City flop Gianelli Imbula has finally been cleared to make his debut for DR Congo after receiving clearance from FIFA. Imbula was a France youth international, despite being born in Belgium, but has switched his international allegiance to the country of his parents and has been called up for friendlies against Algeria and Ivory Coast.
The DR Congo squad:
Goalkeepers: Parfait Mandanda (Royal Charleroi, Belgium), Anthony Mossi (Chiasso FC, Switzerland), Jackson Lunaga (AS Vita Club)
Defenders: Jordan Botaka (Sint-Truiden, Belgium), Jordan Ikoko (Ludogorets, Bulgaria), Christian Luyindama (Galatasaray, Turkey), Wilfred Moke (MKE Ankaragucu, Turkey), Kelvin Mundeko (TP Mazembe), Marcel Tisserand (Wolfsburg, Germany), Chancel Mbemba (FC Porto, Portugal), Ava Dongo (AS Vita Club), Arthur Masuaku (West Ham United, England), Glody Ngonda (Dijon, France)
Midfielders: Merveille Bope and Paul-Jose Mpoku (Standard Liege, Belgium); Jacques Maghoma (Birmingham City, England), Edo Kayembe (Anderlecht, Belgium), Giannelli Imbula (Lecce, Italy), Samuel Moutoussamy (Nantes, France), Gael Kakuta (Amiens FC, France), Neeskens Kebano (Fulham, England)
Forwards: Chadrac Akolo (Amiens FC, France), Yannick Bolasie (Sporting Lisbon, Portugal), Dieumerci Mbokani (Royal Antwerp, Belgium), Cedric Bakambu (Beijing Guoan, China), Jackson Muleka (TP Mazembe)

 


Footballers Disappear In Uganda

A group of five Eritrean youth internationals have vanished in Uganda in the midst of the regional Cecafa Under-20 Challenge Cup tournament. Eritrea are left with just 14 players for the rest of the tournament, where security has been increased as it is believed that the five fled to claim asylum. Uganda previously granted asylum to 15 players and the team doctor in 2013 after the group absconded during a previous football tournament.

 


Prem Finally Finds New CEO

After a lengthy search, and rejections by Susanna Dinnage and Tim Davie, the Premier League have finally found their new chief executive in the shape of David Pemsel. Pemsel is currently CEO at Guardian Media Group and will take over from interim man Richard Masters by April. Pemsel said: "The Premier League is the most-watched football league in the world and I am very excited to be a key part of that. As a football fan, I understand just how important the game is to supporters and our national identity, and I am honoured to take the helm of such an influential and prestigious organisation."

 


CONCACAF Official Banned For Life

Former general secretary of the CONCACAF, the football governing body of North and Central America, Enrique Sanz, has been banned from football-related activity for life. Sanz was found guilty of bribery in competitions organised by FIFA, CONCACAF, the Caribbean Football Union and the South American Football Confederation between 2012 and 2015. Sanz has also been fined 100,000 Swiss francs.

 


Zavvi Error In Champions League Final Competition

Online retailer Zavvi have been in trouble with the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) after wrongly sending out personalised emails telling subscribers they had won a VIP trip to the Champions League final in Madrid. Zavvi had incorrectly sent out a mass email to numerous people when just one person had actually won. The ASA received 57 complaints, which they upheld.

 


FA Charge Silva

Kick It Out have their wish after the FA have charged Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva with misconduct over a tweet sent to team-mate Benjamin Mendy, comparing Mendy to a character on a packet of sweets called Conguitos. Despite Mendy jumping to Silva's defence the FA have still moved to charge him.

 


Liverpool Fined For Ineligible Player

Liverpool have been fined £200,000 by the EFL for fielding an ineligible player in their Carabao Cup victory over MK Dons. Half of the fine has been suspended. Liverpool had been allowed to include Chirivella in their squad for Premier League matches due to the assistance of the FA, but are still awaiting international clearance after the player spent time on loan with Spanish side Extremadura last season. An EFL statement explained: "The club's breach was in part due to the challenges it encountered with securing the correct international clearance, and its subsequent ability to include the player on team sheets despite the lack of clearance. As a result the board concluded the most appropriate sanction was a financial penalty."

Written by Tris Burke October 02 2019 23:07:27

 

Discuss rumours and transfers on our Manchester United rumours web page

 

Discuss rumours and transfers on our Liverpool rumours web page

 

Discuss rumours and transfers on our West Ham United rumours web page

 

Discuss rumours and transfers on our Southampton rumours web page

 

Discuss rumours and transfers on our Wolverhampton Wanderers rumours web page

 

Discuss rumours and transfers on our NBA rumours web page

 

Discuss rumours and transfers on our NFL rumours web page